View Single Post
Old 03-22-2012, 11:13 AM   #4
RickS41

Default AWD versus 4WD versus 2WD

I think that you may have already answered part of your question when you say "...but for some areas I have taken my camper (not rough...just steep slopes on grass), I've had to engage the 4WD to get the camper where I want it."

If you want to continue to have that flexibility then I don't think you'll be happy with a 2WD TV..... even 2WD trucks will slip going up a steep slope, whether it be grass or gravel or even a slightly wet surface. Having those front wheels help, for me, makes a lot of difference in where I can go (and I'm not trying to take my TM up the proverbial jeep trails).

With respect to 4WD vs AWD, I think the main differences are that a 'real' 4WD setup is more 'robust', and you have control over the situation.... AWD is 'automatic' and you have no input into when it is used. But one of the nice things about AWD is just that... it takes control 'instantly' if it detects slippage even when that 'slippage' is happening on normal road conditions. For example, if it detects slippage on the rear tires it will automatically and immediately 'take power off that wheel and add power to the front tire(s)'. This can help take one out of a potentially dangerous situation without one ever knowing that danger lurked.

But all in all, I think it will be your intended use of the 'unit' that will determine which way to go. Make sure as you are looking at AWD vehicles you take into account the real requirements of towing, even a Trailmanor... adequate braking, transmission cooling especially in hilly/mountainous terrain, distribution of weight, etc. It will do one little good to have an AWD TV if there is no weight distributed to the front wheels due to a squishy rear suspension caused by adding tongue weight to the rear end.

Just my 2 centavos worth.....