View Single Post
Old 03-27-2010, 11:31 AM   #15
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al-n-Sue View Post
The first year I had my TM (2008) I towed primarily with the OD on. Thinking, as others have said, that I would get better mileage on flatland (although not much of that here) and it would kick to a lower gear naturally when climbing. Last season (2009 summer) I decided to tow almost exclusively with OD off and see what happened.

1. I noticed that I was a lot more comfortable towing - didn't seem to downshift as much and I had a significantly better experience pulling over passes (i.e. Berthod and Monarch for those familiar with Colorado).
2. The biggest surprise was that I didn't seem to have any difference in mpg. I would get consistently 11-12 in OD and 11-12 without.

Granted, my numbers are not based on scientific or even strong empirical evidence. Just my observation of mpg when I reset my trip computer.
You are correct. Any difference would certainly be imperceivable and completely unprovable. Even if one were to drive the exact same route at the exact same speed, there are so many different variables that it would be impossible to determine which variable may or may not have made a difference in MPG.

Shifting out of OD, while towing, would show no perceivable difference in MPG and just simply not worth the added wear & tear on the vehicle.

My advice would be to use "Tow Mode" on your vehicle while towing, not doing so (under any condition) could be risky........ IMO.