View Single Post
Old 06-26-2012, 01:23 PM   #6
PopBeavers

I am more concerned about people that pass me on the right, using the shoulder. That is plain crazy. I want to see them coming in my mirrors.

My wife was driving once on a two lane road, with no cars around at all. Suddenly a car passed us on the left. It was a legal pass, if you don't count the speed of the corvette that I estimated at 90+.

My wife was very surprised. She did not see it coming. She never looks in her rear view mirrors unless she hears sirens, is passing someone, or is merging with cars at an on ramp.

Me, I look in the mirrors about once every minute or two. I hate surprises. I don't talk with anyone when towing.

Our daughter (32) was driving my Dakota, towing the 18 foot ATV trailer, with two ATVs and a motorcycle on it. This was the first time she ever towed anything. I was riding shotgun.

Because she looks in the rear view mirror often, she saw the motorcycle fall off of the trailer when one of the two straps snapped. She said "Oh my God, Curt's motorcycle just fell off".

I told her to pull over to the right shoulder as quickly as she could safely do.

My point is, use your mirrors a lot. Even when going forward and you think there is no need.

Kudos to my daughter. We were 5 miles from home, her first towing experience and she handled an emergency very well.