View Single Post
Old 07-18-2010, 02:50 PM   #6
6+Road-Roamers

Hey Ya'll,

Thanks for the replies...it's really a big help.

As soon as I get some clear weather, I'm gonna get started. I think I'll stick with the Dicor (I'll return the self-leveling stuff) caulk since I've already bought it and it's made specifically for RV use. I couldn't find any information (even on the Dicor website) as to what type of caulk it is (i.e. silicone, polyurethane, butyl, or some type of hybrid...it's definitely not acrylic or latex as it requires mineral spirits for clean-up), but in my searches on some other RV forums it seems to come recommended and works well.

Maria - I read your blog with interest and noticed that you were going to use a cut piece of 55-gallon drum as a wheel-well guard. Last Aug/Sept when we joined this group, I saw the plans for using sheet metal and had planned on doing that over the winter. Little did I know that I should have done it right away...a trip down to P'cola in Oct resulted in an unfortunate de-lamination of the tread on the driver side wheel which of course slashed a big hole in the forward part of that wheel well. The immediate damage was minimal, but on the way back home we ran into a few hours of rain, which was then slung by the wheel into the new hole inside the kitchen cabinet and then ran out onto the floor. We got home, opened the TM only to find the carpet soaked. I've since pulled up the carpet and pad and replaced it. We have spent the last few months renovating the interior with new upholstery among other things. Please let me know how the 55-gallon plastic worked as this will be my next project and I'm always open to different ideas. Seems like it might be a little easier to work with.

Dick - I will be sure to go ahead and do all of the skylights as well as the center roof...I saw somewhere a discussion about a tape product called Eternabond and think I may consider using that on the center "seams" of the roof.

Tony