View Single Post
Old 10-13-2015, 05:51 PM   #13
br2_wdc

Default Hopkins Flex Mount Brake Control installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinfl View Post
Yes Padgett. Everything is factory installed. I'm hoping it will go easy. I will let everyone know. Thanks.

daveinfl
Dave:
Were you able to get the brake controller installed? How did it work out for you? I have a similar TV to your, with the only difference being yours has a V6. I saw many nice V6's, but since I have a 3023 and have read MANY posts suggesting dry weight ratings are fiction, I decided I needed the extra towing capacity of the V8.

As you mentioned, the 4th Generation Explorers were a big step up, so I set my sights on finding a 2006-10 Ford Explorer with V8/6-speed trans combination with 4X4 and the factory tow package, rated at 7130 lbs (-500 lbs for Rear Air option, for a true rating of 6630). It took me awhile to find one in good condition, but I am extremely happy with the Eddie Bauer model I found. We have gone on 2 trips to date, and it has done the job: very smooth highway ride, good power for merging and hills when needed, plus I'm getting around 13 mpg (down from 15 mpg) which I'm thrilled with.

I looked at a number of different controllers and decided on the Hopkins InSight Flex Mount Brake Control. It allowed me to install the manual brake control right under the dash in easy reach, and the small display module in the left hand corner of the windshield. The main black box installed under the dash out of the way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hopkins-BrakeControl.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	2.92 MB
ID:	12452  
br2_wdc is offline   Reply With Quote