View Single Post
Old 04-29-2003, 01:48 PM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Re: Where To Put Everyone's Personal Belongings?

As you are discovering, the overdoor hooks are one of the most useful basic gadgets.  We use a couple outside the bathroom wall in the hallway to hang wet towels.  A couple more outside the bathroom wall above the kitchen sink to hang the dishdrainer, a paper towel roll holder, and a small rack for the dish brush and soap.  A couple inside the bathroom over the sink to hang a toiletries holder much as you describe.  Two hooks form the basis for my version of Hal's hands-free shower gizmo - thank you Hal, I love it love it love it!  And last week, someone here pointed out that the hooks will also hang over the edges of the outside walls in the living area - just peel back the velcro panels, hang 'em, and replace the velcro.  Keeps the wastebasket (waste bag, actually) off the floor and out of the dog's reach.  And a hunk of elastic cargo netting might hang from a couple strategically placed hooks, to get a few more soft things (clothes/towels/shoes) organized, at least while in camp.

The hooks, and their contents, are small enough that they store in the kitchen sink, the bathroom sink, the bathtub, and a plastic tub on the couch while we travel.  Quick and easy to set up, they make us feel at home and organized almost immediately.

We also have a couple multi-hooks on velcro over the stove, for pot holders, butane lighter, can opener, and the all-important corkscrew/bottle opener.

E-photos of any of this available on request.

None of this addresses the bigger issues that you have - where to store clothing and shoes for 6 people - but it gets the small stuff out of the way for you, quick and easy.  And I bet your shelves-over-the-bed idea will be a great addition.  Seems to me that the shelves ought to disassemble into about 3 pieces (2 ends and a shelf) which would store flat right on the bed.  Let us know how it works out.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote