View Single Post
Old 10-13-2003, 11:38 AM   #17
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Default Re:Gonna replace my Cherokee with a Tundra

Ray,
I ran into some oversteer problems with my F150 / 2720SL combination. Read: short wheelbase - standard cab - short bed, the same as an Explorer. Most of the incidents occured at moderate speeds in turns with a decreasing radius. At a given point the truck would dive to the inside of the turn. I was always able to correct for the oversteer and eventually learned which seemingly innocent curves to watch out for. After replacing the shocks and adjusting the WDH I managed to minimize the number of excursions. I was going to add heavy duty anti-sway-bars to the truck when I finally realized the source of the problem. The truck was factory equiped with P series passenger tires (for ride comfort). The relatively thin passenger car radial sidewall construction was letting the tread roll under in the turns. My next step was to replace the truck tires with ones that were LT rated before the next RV year.
I ended up replacing the tires along with the truck. Probably won't be able to check out the performance in the Ozarks until next spring.
MJL
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote