View Single Post
Old 10-12-2003, 09:29 PM   #13
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Re:Gonna replace my Cherokee with a Tundra

efelker wrote:
Quote:
One internet service is a little different than most. In this case they use a handful of dealers where you go to pick it up. Take a look at www.carmax.com . Thsy do have Tundras.

Closest to you is Milwaukee & Chicago. From what I can see, their prices are about 2 to 3K under MSRP and about $400 - $800 under invoice. If that's too far to go to pickup, what you might do is use their quote to get you a good local price. It's the old, "Can you better this deal?" approach.
Ed...

Yeah I looked into Carmax but there are two problems with Chicago/Milwaukee dealers. First is the distance...based on what my business partner experienced, I should be able to do almost as well with a dealer somewhere on the Colo Front Range (i.e. within 70 miles) using one of the other services (particularly Carsdirect)...and won't have the cost and hassles of making 2500 mile roundtrip (an unbelieveably boring one too, I might add). The other problem is that all of these services work off of dealer inventory...and midwest dealers are very unlikely to have in stock a Tundra equipped for Colorado: 4X4, Toyota Racing Development (TRD) Off Road suspension package, skid plates, 3.91 limited slip differential, etc.....and are less likely to have any with the Towing Package. Almost all the Tundras sold here have all of these packages and options.

Now what Carmax does have that the others don't is below invoice pricing. Only extremely high volume dealers can afford to dip down into this "manufacturer holdback" zone...and sell vehicles with only a couple of hundred net profit. If I can do as my biz partner did and get one at the Carsdirect price, I'll be paying right about invoice cost. If I do direct negotiations, I'll probably be lucky to get within $1K of invoice (though still $2K below MSRP). I put in a request for bid from Carsdirect.com this morning; hopefully I'll hear from them sometime tomorrow.
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote