View Single Post
Old 07-31-2002, 10:56 AM   #17
Larry_Loo

Default Re: Distance Between Tire, Outigger, and Wheel Wel

When we had a tire blow out on our 1999 3124KS about 15 ago, our trailer fortunately also did not have any wheel well damage. The tire that blew out was an original Carlisle, 4 ply tire. I phoned the TM factory and they recommended that I replace the tire with a Goodyear Marathon. I had a tire dealership in Ft. Bragg, Calif., put on 2 Goodyear Marathons. The designations on the tires read:

Goodyear Marathon radials trailer
ST225/75R15
Max load 2540 at 65 psi cold
tread 6 plies 2 polyester cord

Donny at the Factory informed me that they haven't heard of any blowouts since the new TMs were being shipped out with Marathons. I don't know if this is still true now, over a year later.

When I inspected the other, undamaged tire and its wheel well at the Ft. Bragg dealership, I discovered that the other, undamaged tire was a Japanese brand (I can't recall the name right now) and that the wheel well looked different - as if it had been repaired out in the field. I believe therefore, that the previous owners of our TM had a blowout on the other side, during which that wheel well was badly damaged. I have since modified the square wheel wells by making them into rounded ones. The rounded interiors of the wells appear to be so rigid that it would be extremely difficult for a tire blowout to damage them, I feel. I installed my rounded wheel wells with triangular covers over the expanded foam - so that they are completely covered by sheet metal. This gives them a very finished appearance. They look as if they were installed at the factory. I have been unable to post pictures of my wheel well modification on this forum's site but will gladly provide the information on how I did it to anyone interested.