View Single Post
Old 07-21-2017, 01:31 PM   #9
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Talking Kevin's test report: 13V @ 19.8 under load (257W net from the MPPT)!

He's busy loading up for a multi-day boondock, so I will post his "test results" report for him:

Quote:
I was able to turn on the DC fridge, a florescent light and ran a variable (incremental) heat gun using the inverter. With the TV running and hitting the "magic switch", the MT-50 showed 13.0V at 19.8 amps going into the battery. No stalling of the TV and I think it increased the RPMs just a bit but I'm not sure. Unfortunately, I'll have to run the test again for a more prolonged period ... only ran about 8 minutes or so. I pushed the inverter to shut down as I increased the heat gun temp. Next time, I'll have it run at the highest setting that doesn't draw too much from the inverter.

I _love_ my Stockton Boost device. It's a nice backup to have.
The 257 Watts wasn't actually "going into the battery", it was the MPPT output into the TM 12V system as a whole. (Nearly all going into the Fridge and 120V Inverter). Kevin didn't report the input Volts/Amps (although the MPPT's MT-50 show that as well.) If I assume it was running at about 93% efficiency, which is what I saw in my own "high-load" test on his own machine, input power would have been right around 276 watts.

The maximum output of the "voltage doubler" under the hood is 12A, and it is only about 92% efficient when running at maximum load. (We're now at at least 300W from the TV Alternator.) Wiring losses, along the Path "Doubler" -> "Bargman" -> "Relays" -> "MPPT Controller input", consumed some power as well. Kevin didn't measure Voltage under the TV hood, but I'll SWAG that it pulled the TV charge system up to about 14.2V, with the rest (30-40W) consumed as "wiring losses".

This upgrade is again shown to absolutely fantastic, for running the Fridge on 12VDC AND charging your TM Batteries while driving down the road - even at night, or under clouds. And a Chevy "Traverse" can run it!