View Single Post
Old 01-01-2018, 04:22 PM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryjb View Post
You're right. I was recalling the maximum weight stamped on each OEM rim. Each torsion axle has a maximum limit of 1750 lbs for a total of 3500 lbs.
Your rims are rated at only 1500 pounds each? Are you sure? I'm pretty sure that is not the rating on the OEM rims.

Quote:
#1) The Trailmanor is very heavy at the tongue. When the TM is loaded, a weight distributing hitch will likely be necessary to keep the weight off the rear axle. This is why you want to find out the maximum weight the rear axle can take on your Mercedes.
In addition to the rear axle rating (typically found on a sticker on the edge of the driver's door), you want to know the hitch weight rating. I don't know the numbers for the Mercedes, but it is typically 500 pounds for a weight bearing hitch, and a higher number for a weight distributing hitch. Since a TM typically puts 14% of its total weight on the hitch, you hit the hitch limit pretty quickly.

Quote:
#2) Be mindful of how you pack. The 2900 lbs of the TM dry weight doesn't include the battery, propane tanks, water in the holding tanks, etc.
Nor does it include the air conditioner or awning, both heavy, as well as all the stuff you put in the TM (food, clothes, tools, bedding, your rock collection, etc).

Quote:
Notice how our 2900 lbs turned into 5000 lbs! Now, admittedly, that includes the people and our gear in the truck as well.
And it is proper that it does include them. Although the truck manufacturers don't like to remind you, the weight of the people and gear in the truck subtracts directly from the tow rating, pound for pound. So 6600 pounds doesn't go as far as you think it is going to.

Quote:
I only go through this to show you how you can be under the towing limit, but still be overloaded. You're fine to get the trailer. Find out you axle maximums of your Mercedes to find out if you need a weight distributing hitch. Then learn how to pack!
Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote