View Single Post
Old 03-19-2008, 08:28 PM   #10
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Adventure View Post
Sorry, but I don't remember if you use a WDH. A WDH will transfer rear axle weight both forward to the front axle and aft to the trailer. So adding a static tongue weight to the trailer axle weight with the WDH spring bars loaded would overstate your trailer weight.

In any case, your trailer is not his trailer. If you can get get 16-18mpg in a recreational vehicle by taking less stuff along, I'm thinking that's a pretty darned good trade.
I do not use WD, TV is big enough to not need one.

Therefore, the axle weight is what I measured. The tongue weight is an unknown, since I did not weigh it. Clearly, my loaded 2720 weighs in excess of 3500 pounds, just don't know by how much.

It would be easy to get lighter if I wanted to. I carry 46 gallons of water, that is 386 pounds. I could leave one propane tank off for a weekend trip. Since i have a generator, I really only need one battery instead of two when not using the furnace. That saves 55 pounds.

If we ate out all the time we would not need the food and the dishes, just the beer.

The point I was trying to make was if you just load up and go with no thought, it is easily possible to hit the 4000 pound mark. The only way to know is to weigh it.

If you know you weigh 4000 pounds and choose to tow overweight, you can do some compensation, such as extra space for stopping.

If you think you are at 3200 pounds but you really are at 4200 pounds, you might find yourself surprised at the wrong time.

It is not difficult to get a 2720 up past 4000 pounds. I do it every trip out, even for just two nights.

Don't guess, spend 10 bucks and weigh it.