View Single Post
Old 03-06-2016, 05:21 PM   #3
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Once again, Rickst29 gets into his long-hair electro-talk, which is not my area of expertise. But, (thank you!), Rick explains so I can understand the problem and solution.

I had read the many threads saying I could run my fridge on battery while traveling, and started doing that last summer. (My first TM ran fine on propane while traveling, but the 2014 TM's flame blows out while on the road.) While I have two batteries and (at the time) a single solar panel, my batteries were not at full-charge when I arrived at camp, even though I drove across Colorado and Utah in full sun. I was scratching my head, wondering if I interpreted the threads correctly.

I installed a second 100w solar panel, and my subsequent trip seemed to allow me to arrive at camp with more juice in my batteries. Bottom line seemed to be, sufficient charging does not seem to come from tow vehicle, nor tow vehicle and one 100w solar panel.

Rick's explanation validates my observations. However, instead of doing any of the mods indicated (I am not an electrician, so those mods would be my last resort), I may simply add a block of ice to the fridge at the beginning of the trip, and set the fridge temp a little warmer, so it doesn't cool as much. Still enough to keep the food chilled, but not enough to draw as much juice from the batteries. On the road, beer will be kept in a cooler with ice, instead of the TM fridge.

Thanks, Rick, for your explanation. It is greatly appreciated, as it helps me understand more about the entire TM electric system.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote