View Single Post
Old 01-22-2004, 08:54 PM   #7
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Re:Adding a Carbon Monoxide Detector

[quote author=MikeD link=board=19;threadid=1622;start=msg11486#msg1148 6 date=1074820193]thanks for the feedback. The reason I want a CO detector (outside of general safety) is that I plan to run a catalytic heater when boondocking. Although I plan to open a vent, I'd like some extra security.

[/quote]
Mike...

Whilst I think that you're being quite wise in getting a CO detector for your TM's sleeping area, it's my general impression that the greater risk with catalytic heaters is oxygen depletion. Of course as the oxygen nears depletion within the trailer, CO production will naturally rise due to incomplete combustion.

The guidance provided by Olympian with their Wave catalytic heaters (http://www.uscatalytic.com/WaveSeries_Installation.pdf....see page 7) calls for slightly opening a window (about a quarter inch) in the end of the trailer. This is in addition to opening one of the overhead vents. The open overhead vent acts as an exhaust and the opened window is the source of replacement oxygen. I personally would want that oxygen source near to where I was sleeping...even if it makes for a chilly sleeping environment.
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote