View Single Post
Old 01-20-2004, 10:16 PM   #3
MikeD
Site Sponsor

Default Re:Adding a Carbon Monoxide Detector

Mike,

Quote:
Most Carbon Monoxide detectors are not approved for use in an RV.
This one is advertised as designed for RV use.

Quote:
A Carbon Monoxide detector will detect CO just every time you use your gas range.
There are thresholds on CO detection. I've tried an indoor CO detector in the TM while I had it set-up by the house this winter. It has not alarmed with either the stove, oven, or furnance, but this is a good point. When I get this unit, I'll wire it temporarily into the 12v system through the cigarette lighter to see if it is too sensitive (before I cut a hole in the wall).

On the other hand, if it does go off, then that would indicate that I should open a window or vent or just get out of the trailer until it clears out. It seems that I can't have it both ways. Either the level of CO is too high and I should take action, or I should just ignore it and not install the detector.

Quote:
A Carbon Monoxide detector should be mounted high.
Why would it need to be mounted high ? I understood that CO mixes well in air (e.g.; it does not settle to the floor like propane). From the various mounting instructions that I have read - it seems that I should be able to mount it at most any height.

Mike
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote