Thread: Cadillac
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2007, 07:14 PM   #14
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Card View Post
I am not suggesting that you exceed the manufactuers published towing limits. I am saying that if the published limit for a specific vehicle is 5,000lbs then you can safely tow up to that limit not 80% of that limit i.e. 4,000lbs. And in the example of a Toyota Highlander up to 3,500lbs not 80% of that- 2,800lbs. What I am confident in saying is that in setting the stated towing limit the manufactuer would have included a substancial safety margin into his calculation to be sure that the towing limits could be utalized to the maximum with complete safety.
Geoff Card
I can agree with that. From a pure safety point of view, I agree that it is safe to tow all the way up to the limit. It may not be prudent, but it is safe.

When going up a very steep road being loaded to the max will only result in low speeds. On a freeway the minimum speed is 45 mph. I wish they would enforce that. If you can not tow up the hill at 45 mph then you should not be on that road. Please go around another way. Especially when it is only one lane and no one can pass.

When driving down very steep narrow roads in a panic stop situation I will always prefer a vehicle with a very long wheel base, a frame and large brakes. The longest downhill road that I drive on is solid curves for 14 miles. Even in first gear using engine compression I must use the brakes. If you will never be in mountains then this is not a concern for you.

But, I am still concerned about wear and tear and reliability. Since I keep my vehicles for 200,000 miles and require that the only time that they are in the shop is for scheduled maintenance. In my entire lifetime I have never had a reason to perform a repair while away from home, with the exception of one flat tire, last year. I just have a gut feeling that consistently towing at the maximum weight rating will contribute to premature unexpected equipment failures

Each of us has their own comfort level. One breakdown on the road and I don't think DW would go with me anymore.

I am fortunate to have a job that pays well enough that I can purchase any TV that I want. And the cost of gasoline is not my biggest budget item. Certainly total cost of ownership must be considered when making any significant purchase.