Thread: AC or no AC?
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2012, 03:28 PM   #10
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowder1974 View Post
My thinking on the AC was as follows...we purchased property in eastern WA, I have a Honda 2000 generator to run everything. I could spend $300 - $400 on a room AC and bring it along on trip where I would need it and my generator would run it and I could use it in my house on the 1 or 2 days a year that we need AC here in Seattle.

Any thoughts on this...I know there are those on this board that use room AC units.
Our TM has a window unit. It's not as effective cooling as the roof units, but it can cool ~25 degrees, which can turn 110 down to a manageable 85 degrees and remove humidity.

To retrofit, you would need to cut a hole in the wall, and probably run some new wiring. Not too challenging if you are handy and know how to wire an outlet, but it's a fair amount of work and time. IMHO, it's not worth the ~$500 or whatever savings of doing that vs. getting a roof mount. I'd either get the roof mount or not get one at all.

Also consider that the roof units also have built in heat strips, so if you need heat during the winter and you have hookups, you don't have to use propane to heat the TM.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote