View Single Post
Old 11-30-2011, 03:38 AM   #18
Riwright
TrailManor Master

Default Towing with a Lexus RX 300

I recently bought a used 3124KS. The documentation that I got with it listed the dry (empty) weight of the trailer at 3000 lbs. I had a Lexus RX300 to tow it with. Tow rating is 3500 lbs.

The book said it should be OK but I knew I was right around the limit, especially when you include gear. I live in SoCal so there is some pretty hilly country around here. The RX had 160000 miles on it and I decided I was willing to trade if it didn't work out. I did a couple of tows with it. I had a severe problem with "chucking." When you go over uneven pavement of any kind the trailer does a push-pull on the car. Very uncomfortable. I stripped out all the weight that I could and the chucking improved but was still unacceptable.

I also towed about 20 miles from 1000 feet to 1700 feet elevation. The transmission fluid smelled evil. Not a good thing.

Power was just barely adequate to pull the hills. Lower gears and slower speeds made it OK. Count on spending all your time in the far right lane in hilly country. I would not try any big mountains under any circumstances.

On the flats power was fine but chucking was a problem regardless of grade.

It took twice as long to brake as normal but this was expected. The trailer did not sway.

I had Camping World do the original setup and I was very unhappy with it. I took it to another hitch place. They told me that the tongue weight was too high for my setup and this could be causing the chucking problem. He thought perhaps the frame was flexing under the load. They also told me that I could spend a lot of money and still not get it towing right.

I traded the RX for a 2005 Tundra with a 7100 lb tow rating, twice what I have not and well over what I need to tow.
Riwright is offline   Reply With Quote