View Single Post
Old 11-27-2011, 09:34 AM   #23
Goodyear Travels

I just had the good fortune to purchase a Power Caster II for $350 on Craig's List from an individual who lives within 50 miles. I've wanted one for quite some time but $1200 + $200 shipping for new was way above my means.

This trailer mover can handle 6500 lbs and about 800 lbs tongue weight so a 2720sl should be nothing for it. I used my electric grinder to cut the sides off the very heavy, steel bracket designed to bolt to trailers with 2 inch box steel frames. It was unnecessarily massive for my tastes. It was, however, an alternative to linking to the rather weak shaft of the trailer's front wheel.

So, I'm taking my swing arm to my local welder to have what's left of the bracket (basically just a cylinder to catch in the cup of the PC'er) permanently welded to the underside of the swingarm -- for strength, simplicity, and improved appearance.

I'll post pics of the modification along with shots of the PC moving the trailer up my inclined driveway. In the past -- I heated the clutch on my Tacoma by repeatedly "feathering" it -- to move the trailer within inches of the garage side wall. After 35 trips -- the fly wheel had burn marks and needed to be resurfaced (along with a new clutch and pressure plate). It was pretty much -- unavoidable.

You have to be watchful, dedicated, or just lucky (like me) if you want to catch one of these on Craig's List. I guess I was the 1st caller and he had 6 more calls within the next 12 hours -- several offering more than his initial asking price to entice him to turn me away. Thankfully, he was old-school -- a man of his word.

But PC's (or similar devices) are an investment that can prevent injury and make the parking process almost "fun".

One of our members is offering a PC for sale. Someone should grab it.

Pic's in a week or two. Eric