Thread: Tongue weight
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2010, 09:46 AM   #24
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I faced this problem at my cabin in Maine, where I sometimes store the trailer in a spur off my driveway. There is a very tight S-turn that I needed to get around, with a big tree on one side, and a big rock on the other. The first time I tried it, I did the 19-point turn that you describe, and still couldn't get all the way in. So, having no choice, I left it, only halfway into the spur, and so non-level that I couldn't open it. Grump grump grump.

The next time I tried it, I did the first back-in, then got out to survey the situation. The camper was pointed kind of in the right direction, but the truck and the camper were at an extreme angle, almost jack-knifed, and I couldn't see any maneuver that would straighten it out. Then a little voice in my head (I admit, I hadn't taken my meds yet) said "The camper is in the right place and pointed in the right direction. It is the truck that is poorly positioned. If I could just move the truck without disturbing the camper, I'd be OK."

So I did. I unhitched the camper, repositioned the truck (really easy without the camper!), and hitched up again. Voila! Done. Not a handy thing to do, but a lot better than a 19-point-turn that didn't work.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote