Thread: Tongue weight
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2010, 01:52 PM   #20
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED-n-KEL View Post
I think the issue of short wheelbases are very much overlooked by most, but can cause major issues, especially with today's light duty vehicles.
We regularly towed with a Scout (my brother's) and my E250 full size van.
We used the Scout when we needed 4x4 grip, and my van when we needed cargo capacity, or when making a longer trip. My van with it's 138" wheelbase tracked like a train down the highway, while the short wheelbase of the Scout caused it to constantly "dance".
Keep this in mind, especially when considering one of the larger TMs.
Short wheelbase vehicles are great off-road, because they are more maneuverable, but lousy at highway speeds because they take a lot of attention to keep them going straight.

A long wheelbase is good for towing. Unfortunately neither you nor anyone else has any data to support "how good" or "how much better" a longer wheelbase is, so that one could make proper inferences about how much wheelbase is enough. Example: If wheelbase is important, wouldn't it be better for you to tow with an old fire truck instead of a van?

Similarly, you also have no data for inference about "today's light duty vehicles." Today's vehicles have pretty good skid control compared to a few decades ago, and I would expect that to make them all better tow vehicles. So far, by a wide no-contest margin, my worst towing experiences have been in a full sized Ford van towing a 5000# travel trailer.

The way wheelbase helps is by providing a lever arm for the steering to work against the overhang, the rear axle-to-hitch ball lever arm which the trailer applies against the vehicle. Maybe the wheelbase to overhang ratio would be a better measure of towing stability than wheelbase alone.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote