View Single Post
Old 07-27-2010, 12:07 PM   #29
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Default The point of all this...

I really appreciate your reading through that Toyota towing stuff to help me make sure I didn't miss anything. The reading assignment was really intended for arjackson who has a new Highlander and is thinking about the issues that go with towing a TrailManor. You're right: There's nothing magic in what Toyota is doing, and exactly the same principles apply to Toyotas as other tow vehicles. Like you, I am a happy Trailmanor owner traveling much lighter these days after discovering the hassles and limits of heavier RV's.

The point is that if you tow with a Toyota, you need to be thinking about and applying Toyota's numbers and towing instructions. To the extent they're different from what other manufacturers tell you to do, we need to appreciate that difference in the suggestions we offer to prospective owners. And, we're more than a little curious about what it says to those of us (including me) who have been thinking more in terms of the GCWR formula and haven't taken a real close look lately at how we're doing with our WDH and our axle limits.

In the case of the long and storied history of 14' tire failures on TM's, one wonders if cranking up the WDH to balance the TV axles becomes a contributing factor by pushing the trailer tires into more likely-to-fail load situations.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote