View Single Post
Old 07-19-2010, 10:52 AM   #4
ED-n-KEL

Default Salvage Title

Based on personal experience, a salvage titled road vehicle must still be inspected to be road worthy to still get inspection stickers, etc (at least in Louisiana).
On my son's car, I had to bring it to the local State Police for this inspection.
You may want to make sure that the registration/license plate, etc, is up to date, for this purpose. If not, you may be responsible for getting it right to get it back on the road.
For me, this involved bringing the original damage estimate, along with receipts for the new parts, to show that the parts were replaced. They seem to be more interested in making sure it's "mechanically sound" versus worrying about cosmetic dents. I left a slightly dented fender on and they gave me no grief.

Once you go through all the hassle of getting a salvaged title vehicle back on the road, everything else is the same as normal, other than the value of the vehicle is ultimately effected. In some cases though, the reduced value is undeserving if you're the seller, but welcomed it you're the buyer.
You may also want to check with your insurance agent on insurance limits, but this shouldn't be an real issue if you're buying it at a very low price.