View Single Post
Old 06-25-2010, 04:45 PM   #7
EAKlebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Wow! You are out there without a brake controller? In other words, with no brakes on your trailer??? Yes, that is your next acquisition, and a necessary one! First, it is required by law - your trailer MUST have its own brakes. It is for your own safety, as well as your family's safety. Your F-150 is not able to stop that trailer in anywhere near the same same distance as it can stop without the trailer. And that is your goal - same or very similar stopping distance. This applies in all terrain, not just the hills of West Virginia. And finally, you are a danger to other vehicles if your trailer has no brakes.

After you've got that, we can all argue about whether the next step is tires or a WDH. I lean toward a WDH myself, but I'm sure we'll get some discussion.

Now, go out and get a Tekonsha Prodigy controller, for about $100 or a little more. Don't try to save a little money by buying a cheaper controller - some of them are downright dangerous. I strongly suggest that you go into the section titled TM Info You Won't Find Anywhere Else at the top of this forum. Scroll down until you find a tutorial by RockyMtnRay about choosing a brake controller. Read it and absorb it. We'd like to keep you (and your family) around for a while.

Bill
No the trailer does, of course, have brakes and the inspection station said that the brakes were fine. However, I did notice that stopping distance was quite a bit farther. I have already read the mentioned thread which was VERY informative. However, I also happened to come across this controller:
http://www.brake-controller.com/brak..._features.html which is not that much more than the Tekonsha, but appears to be better. But perhaps it is overkill?