View Single Post
Old 10-23-2009, 06:07 PM   #6
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

Hey Joe and Nance,

We fairly recently did what you are doing, kind of in reverse. We picked up our TM in California and brought it back to the Denver area. So much to tell ya . . .

I actually think you're better off buying private. We went with a dealer in CA and paid sales tax there and then . . . oh my that is another story. I think buying private that you will have a more simple path when you register in CA. Make sure you ask in advance in CA about sales tax when you register there. It could be a really big chunk of change. We paid $1500 CA sales tax. Make sure you have a bill of sale with the cost spelled out in big bold letters.

We were able to leave CA with plates but should have gotten temp plates in CO before we left here (you don't know what you don't know).

Rest stops in NM and AZ. We stayed in our TM on our trip home and I would STRONGLY suggest you don't even remotely consider rest stops. We lived in AZ before we moved here and are very familiar with the route you will take across NM and AZ. The rest stops are not good. Really, not good. I think you'll be very grateful if you plan ahead for hookups. I can't help much east of Albuquerque but can give you some ideas west of there.

You aren't going to be sure what shape the batteries are in most likely. You aren't going to know what you are doing. There is a terrific user guide on this site that I strongly suggest you download and have with you.

It was a bumpy road for us but our TM is in our garage with CO plates on it now and we very rarely look in the rear view mirror at how that came to be.

Good luck! Malinda
Thule for our tandem Hobie Kayak :-)
120w Solar Panel - 2.5" lift 15" Marathons
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OneMoBear is offline   Reply With Quote