View Single Post
Old 10-23-2009, 03:59 PM   #3
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Can you talk the seller into leaving the plates on the trailer during your travels??
I personally would not leave with the TM without the title, regardless of whether or not you have plates. If you ever had a problem getting it from him, you'd have a major problem. That may because he's being difficult, he lost it, his dog ate it, or maybe he's dead by the time you get home. Either way, now you have to get the title somehow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
The seller has already gotten his money, so he won't care of the condition when he signs the title.
That may be true, but if you get in an accident, whoever you hit is going to sue the driver (you) and the owner (the seller). If I were the seller, I would not agree to let you leave without signing and giving you the title and a bill of sale to release me of liability. Basically, when you leave, it is no longer my problem.

When I bought mine from a private party, he just kept the plates on it and I towed it home like that. I don't think that makes it any more legal in this situation than towing without any plates at all, it just makes you less likely to get stopped.

If you think about it, the only purpose of license plates is to identify the owner of that vehicle. If you drive without any tags at all and you were ever stopped, you could simply show the officer your recently signed bill of sale, and I bet that would be the end of it. That's essentially what happens in somes states, including CA, when you buy a new car. You get one of those lame dealer advertisement fake plates on the back, and a temporary registration slip taped to your windshield. You don't get metal license plates for weeks, or even months, after purchase.

That's what I would do.

As mtnguy states, be sure you have insurance on the TM before you go pick it up. They may require inspection within 14 days or something, but will insure it in the meantime.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote