View Single Post
Old 10-23-2009, 03:34 PM   #2
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe&Nance View Post
1) I found a TM in TX that appears to be a good deal and put down a deposit. I asked him all the ?'s I found on the forum --seller appears 2 answer all ?'s honestly and has told me the defects and what he is fixing b4 I arrive. I have gotten VIN and call the TX DMV and verified that he has clear title on it, nothing about accidents with it. HOWEVER, they have 2 take the license plates and am concerned. I went 2 CA DMV and they said that until I have proof of purchase that I don't do any paperwork. Do I have to do anything about the other states I am passing thru... Maybe I am overthinking this.
A possible solution to your 1st question:

Can you talk the seller into leaving the plates on the trailer during your travels?? Give him a check for the TM, but get a notorized statement that he will send you the signed title when he recieves his plates back. You are driving his trailer across country which is legal....you can tow anybody's trailer as long as you have permission and a registration. If you have an accident along the way, then it is your baby......so you might want to get collision insurance if you can. The seller has already gotten his money, so he won't care of the condition when he signs the title. If the states that you are traveling through are similar to Virginia (my residence), then the liability on the trailer is included with the tow vehicle, so that shouldn't be a problem. Check with the states to make sure that the liability on a trailer is under the tow vehicle insurance.

I sold my pop-up to a guy that lived a distance away from me. I signed the title over to him, but left my plates on the trailer. If he got stopped, then the registration would show my ownership, since the title wasn't processed yet. He was perfectly legal pulling my trailer, but maybe not as much so if the police viewed the title........which he would not have offerd to show. I got my plates in the mail several days after we made the deal.

Another idea if you have a tow vehicle strong enough, is to rent or borrow a flat bed trailer stout enough to carry the TM.........no tag problem that way.......the tags are already on the flatbed. Might be a little of a challenge getting it on and off the trailer, and secureing it, though.