View Single Post
Old 07-26-2009, 05:10 PM   #9
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopslot View Post
Thanks for the patience everyone (i'm learning). The 4runner is gone at the moment. I will check the tag inside the door for the GCWR. I am seeing in the owners manual the following statement "If towing a trailer and cargo weighing over 2000 lbs toyota rec. using a weight distributing hitch. If towing a trailer and cargo weighing over 2,000 lbs it is necessary to use a sway control device with sufficient capacity. The combination of the gross trailer weight added to the total weight of the vehicle, occupants and vehicle cargo must never exceed a total of the following:
4.0 L v6 engine (9600 lb.).
Exceeding the maximum weight of the trailer, the vehicle, or the vehicle and trailer combination, can cause an accident resulting in serious personal injuries."

As I live in Utah, I will likely not win any land speed records with this, but it does appear that it should suffice...as curb weight 4320 lbs plus trailer weight 3,090 lbs= 7410 lbs. seems that I should subtract 10% 960 lbs from the 9600 lb capacity, leaving me with 1,240 lbs for passengers and cargo, which seems duable. I just hope I am not trying to force a square peg into the proverbial circle to make this work.
Thanks again for your comments and patience as I sort this. I am graterful for your feedback, passion, and wisdom
BINGO!!!!!! You found it.

Your magic # is......................drum roll please..............................9600# (GCWR).

looks like you may be in the ball park but will need to go to the scales during one of your camping trips (fully loaded) just so you have all the facts and no what you are dealing with. I can almost assure you that your trailer will be over 4000#...........the "Dry Weight" on the trailer does not include, AC, cabinets, furniture, accessories, propane tanks, batteries, cargo etc.