View Single Post
Old 06-17-2009, 06:17 PM   #4
PopBeavers

I will not repeat the excellent advise already posted by others. I will try to add to it.

I once stored the TM in the garage for a week in the summer before dumping the toilet the weekend after a trip. We had arrived home very late on a Sunday. Big mistake. do not do that. It did not smell-up the garage, but when I opened the TM the following weekend it was beyond bad.

The pre-trip packing can substantially be done the weekend ahead of time, or just a few days ahead of time. For me this is a clear advantage of having a trailer. I got it down to where between the time I arrived home from work and the time that we departed was less than an hour. And that was with the TM int he garage. I still had to pull it out and load last minute items like the generator, and perishable food. I have that posted around here somewhere I am sure. If you can not find it and are interested din it I will try to find it for you.

Returning home is somewhat the same. I leave things out of the TM that I need immediately, like the dirty laundry. When we get home the TM is ready to go in the garage.

Leaving and returning for camping is always a fair amount of work. You need groceries and that will need to be loaded. When returning home, dirty laundry needs to be dealt with. If you do not have a big enough car to preload all this stuff, then just leaving of Friady after work is a real pain. I did that for many years. A trailer, even just a utility trailer stored in the garage, will help spread that effort across several days.

We stock the TM with basic supplies at the beginning of the season and completely empty it at the end. Stuff that stays in the TM is stuff that I do not need to pack and unpack.