View Single Post
Old 04-14-2009, 02:53 PM   #6
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsbrat View Post
The book tells me I can haul a 3500 pound trailer with my typical load, and TM's website puts the 2720SL at under 2900 pounds (empty), so it seems doable. I've been towing boats etc for decades, so I have a pretty good idea how far I can (or should) go.
I'm not sure what book that you are referring to but I can assure you that your 3500# tow rating is referring to what your TV can pull with the TV being empty........as in, no passengers, no cargo and very little fuel and not with, "with my typical load".

It must be kept in mind that towing is more about STOPPING and less about pulling. That's why it is important to find out what your GCWR is.

I'm not even saying, "You shouldn't tow a TM with your Honda Pilot". All I'm saying is that it is extremely important to know the facts about what you are towing so that you can drive accordingly. I'd hate for you to figure out that your brakes aren't adequate to handle the load when you are half way down a 3000' incline and you lose your brakes.

Manufacturers always rate their maximum towing capacity at the maximum trailer load allowed with the minimum TV weight (basically empty). If you add weight to the empty vehicle, you must subtract that weight from your trailer.

The tow rating is only one rating of many ratings that must not be exceeded on your vehicle. The most important rating is the GCWR. This tells you the maximum combined weight (fully loaded TV and trailer combined) that your vehicle is rated to stop within legal limits, at highway speeds.

I've been towing for nearly 45 years. I've towed some pretty ridiculous loads with some pretty under-rated vehicles and ignorance was bliss (but no excuse). It was just a couple years ago that an attorney explained the consequences of causing an injury (or fatal) accident due to negligent actions on my part from towing over capacity. He scared the hell out of me and I started doing my homework.