View Single Post
Old 08-18-2008, 08:36 PM   #2
Al-n-Sue

I'd say TM is doing ok in this economy - if you look at their web site and see the news releases (http://www.trailmanor.com/WebDocs/whatsnew/index.htm) you'll see that TM sales were up 16% in Feb over last year, in March they delivered 30% more trailers to the east coast, 10% more to the west coast, and I know the dealer in Colorado Springs has been selling a lot. In March TM reported that they were hiring 40 more people to allow them to increase production. I'd say that folks who are serious RVers are looking at TM as a way to continue their lifestyle without the 6-10 mpg they get in their motorhomes and pulling big TT and 5ers. And there are other segments as well - popup owners and tenters wanting to get away from the canvas walls (us!), folks with medium sized SUV's that want more than a tent or popup, but don't want to give up their Highlanders, Pilots, Siennas, etc.
As for resale value - I'll agree that the NADA is somewhat irrelevant. I bought my TM in March this year - a 5 yr old 3124KB - and it was priced about $2000 OVER NADA. The dealer did not budge. Basically he said if I didn't make a deposit, he'd have it sold by the end of the week. I bought it sight unseen, based on the reputation of the dealer and his guarantee that it would be in excellent shape when I picked it up. And he was right.
If I were going to sell mine now (which there is no way I would do) I would ask at least what I paid, if not a little more, based on some of the improvements I've made.
Granted, many people have said they are camping closer to home, but camping none the less. I'll be interested in what others have to say, but I think you'll find that most TM owners have a very bright view of their camping future.
IMHO
Alan