Thread: Resale value
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2014, 08:47 AM   #19
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Have found that the key to "holding value" is to "buy right" in the first place. Of course when you tend to keep vehicles you like for decades then it almost becomes meaningless.

That said it is best to decide exactly what you want and then not settle for anything less.

When I bought the Vixen, my ideal was to have an economical RV and being "odd" was part of the equation and I found out two things
1) from an engineering standpoint, a turbo-diesel has a lot going for it.
2) from a TCOE standpoint the extra cost of diesel over 87 PON added to required maintence defeated a lot of it

So when I replaced my previous minivan with a more nimble and capable tow vehicle, a trailer made more sense. Started looking for a Hi-Lo but too heavy and no longer made. Then I found the TrailManor and the collapsible concept resonated with me. Add to the nearly double the living space of the Vixen was a plus.

So after about a month of looking found the TM and bought for a good price. Am now going through making the changes I feel is neccessary (adding outlets, replacing the awning (did not expect but the Fiamma plant is in Orlando), changing 14s for 15s with higher load rating (concern is the load on the single axle design, may replace the axle as well), replacement of external fasteners with stainless, that sort of thing.

Am finding that there have been many improvements in just about everything since the last century.

So suspect once I have a way to get it in the garage, I'll have a keeper (and now that cooler weather is here should move right along.