View Single Post
Old 03-26-2014, 09:02 AM   #13
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

For weight comparison, I had a 2417 Sport with AC, no awning, 2 propane bottles, one battery, 40 gallons of water. I weighed it as I left town for a camping trip, and it was 3,450 lbs.

Any larger TM is going to weigh more than that. The 3124 shows a dry weight of 1185 lbs more than the 2417. Even trying to keep it light, I don't see how you would ever be less than 4200 lbs, and that is without taking any water with you.

I would not tow a TM without trailer brakes. I had a 1200 lb tent trailer that I towed without trailer brakes, and "panic" stops were increased in distance. Triple the weight, and it would not be pretty, ever. I certainly can tell when my trailer brakes are adjusted properly. A huge difference in safety.

From the Oregon DOT site: "Oregon law requires that any vehicle or combination of vehicles weighing less than 8,000 pounds must be able to stop within a travel lane in 25 feet from 20 miles per hour." Combined weight of vehicles, not trailer weight of 8,000 lbs. Big difference!
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote