View Single Post
Old 08-06-2013, 10:36 AM   #12
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Lightbulb 4 things about the 2619 from 2005:

First, about the power converter. In 2005 it was (perhaps) an "American Enterprises" model, which didn't work very well, or a Magnetek/B-W Manufacturing/Parallax 6300 or 7300 - which didn't work very well either. During the late 2006/ early 2007 period, the 2006/2007 model years, TM "upgraded" to a WFCO "3-stage" converter.
Many owners with electrical expertise don't like the WFCO either, but it is very widely used in other brands of Trailers as well. And everything but the actual converter "main board" works pretty well - The circuit breakers, the DC Distribution Board, and etc. Because it's used by so many manufacturers, some high-quality upgrade kits are being made (Progressive Dynamics 4600 series, or PowerMax/Boondocker "Gen 4"). AFAIK, TM users of either upgrade kit are delighted. (I've got the PowerMax, most of the other upgrade people have chosen the PD.)
The WFCO, from a later model year is a little bit better to begin with, and it's upgrade kits are also seem to work better than the upgrade kits for the AE and Magnetek/Parallax.

Second, about the axle, wheels, and tires.
Current '2720' models come with 15" wheels and a relatively strong axle (IIRC, Dexter Torflex of either "5000 lbs" or "5200 lbs" capacity.) The 2005 definitely used a "3500 lb" axle with 14 inch wheels. A very common upgrade which TM owners perform is to increase the wheel size to 15", allowing for stronger load range "D" tires. This helps avoid blow-outs. But it can take considerable time, depending on whether the trailer already includes the "lift kit" for high ground clearance. (You would need that, in order to complete the upgrade to 15" wheels.)
HOWEVER, even with the more capable tires, a "standard" 2619 from those years is limited by the 3500 lb axle. Cargo carrying capacity is limited, especially if it also carries the weight of a rooftop air conditioner. Check the values provided by TM on the "street side" VIN sticker, or inside the door under the sink. Can you travel with that amount of in-the-trailer Cargo?

Third - does it have the FACTORY version of the "swing hitch"?
If so, then you will need to weld on a couple of strength enhancing plates (or hire somebody to do that for you.) Be sure to check carefully, whether it is already cracked- that weakness would make repair more complicated. The factory version of the "Swing Hitch" from 2005 had "issues", newer models don't.
If the swing hitch was installed by the dealer, then it probably has no issues. For example, Dinuba's welder, in Central California, designed and built a far superior "Swing Hitch". (I've got one of theirs; he's now retired form the business.) I think that the Car Show (in Colorado) also makes a great one. Custom RV was the first designer of such a hitch, before it became an option at the factory - but I don't know whether an old hitch, made by them, would have the same "issues" as the OEM Factory version did.

Fourth - does it have to be a 2619?
If this is mandatory for storage in your garage, then it is capable of sleeping 5. But it will be very cramped for meals - the small table really can't handle more than 4 people with comfort. Since all-aluminum TM Trailers last a really long time, make sure that this model works for you. I love mine, but we travel as only a couple - with a large dog.