View Single Post
Old 09-28-2006, 10:19 AM   #7
Scopegeek

Default Towing 3124KB with SportTrac

I purchased the used 3124KB from Stuart Warren in Albuquerque. Pulled it from there back to Vegas with my SportTrac (ST). I'm sure the weight distribution hitch helped, but the TM tracked sure and stable behind my ST. The 4.0L V6 was able to pull the TM under cruise control at 70mph, with occasional downshifts up the steeper grades and seldom dropping to 65mph. I think 70 mph is as fast as I would drive any vehicle towing a trailer of any kind. Some may think that 70 mph is too fast. I was really quite pleased with how well both the ST and TM performed.

My wife and I just returned from a 10-Day vacation where we took the TM to Yosemite National Park, Cathedral Gorge State Park (NV), and Zion National Park. All of these locations are above 4,500 feet. We stayed at Tuolomne Meadows campground just 8 miles inside the East Entrance of Yosemite. The ST pulled the 3124KB up to the 9,900 ft park entrance at the posted speed limits. It did have to use lower gearing but never exceeded 4,000 rpm on the climb. The only problem I experienced was braking on the way out. I didn't have the trailer brake controller set high enough and felt like the TM pushed the ST on one occasion when I wanted to stop fairly quickly near a lake on the way out. The ST brakes got a little hot. After I increased the responsiveness of the TM's brakes, I never felt like the ST was being pushed again. Oh, gas mileage was just under 14 mpg. Normally I get between 16 and 18 on the highway. Not bad for the hilly terrain we were traveling.

Understanding the inherent limits of a 4.0L V6, I am really quite pleased with my ST's ability to pull and control the TM. I'll probably trade my 2004 ST for a 2008 in a couple of years and get the 4.6L V8 to increase the pulling power.

After 10 days and nights in the 3124KB, my wife and I are quite pleased with the TM and are looking forward to our next outing.

Thanks to those who posted comments to my original question. I'll post some pictures on the pics forum.

Rob - a happy new TM owner.