View Single Post
Old 04-06-2022, 12:13 PM   #15
wrenchami
Site Sponsor

I think Wavery has the right approach. Remove as much bad material as practical and replace that section with good material.

That said, another tool in the toolbox might be BOATLIFE's GitRot penetrating epoxy for dry rotted wood. I sucessfully used this product to rebuild a spongy rotted floor in a 1965 Glaspar speed boat. It has the consistency of kerosene and can be painted on repeatedly and soaks right in to the wood. Once hardened, the floor became rigid again and was still good when I sold the boat 10 years later. I would recommend incorporating this product with whatever repair you make to assure the repair is impervious to future rot.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/boatl...04_120_001_009

You might also consider using Simpson Strong-Tie joining plates in your repair. Those are strong and might make the scarfing process easier.
'14 2922KB, 2x6V 115AH GC batteries up front. Slide out galley cabinet trays. All LED lighting. Awning LED light strip. LED night lights, front cabinets & in head. Liner-free shower mod. Exterior vent exhaust fan mod for head. Detachable shelves on galley walls. Bluetooth audio amp over fridge.

2017 Hyundai Santa Fe TV, Tekonsha P3 brake controller, Yandina160 combiner.

PO'd '78 American Clipper (21.5' class C), TM '03 3023QS couch model, Classic '75 GMC Eleganza II 26' Class A.
wrenchami is offline   Reply With Quote