View Single Post
Old 07-09-2003, 11:52 PM   #12
DancinCampers

Default Re: Leveling on uneven ground - best method??

Good day all,

I have used a leveling block I made many years ago from 2x6 treated lumber.  It provided 3 levels, each with a beveled edge.  In fact I made 2 of them & still use them at home to change oil in our wagon.

On our trip last month to the Jubilee I decided to change my approach.  I needed a jack to use for changing the TM tire if needed, so I bought a 4 ton bottle jack (about $11).  I used this jack to raise the low side.  I put it under the frame just in front of the tire & pump the handle till Sharon says its level.  This will change the level from front to rear slightly so I readjust that using the tongue jack.  I then adjust the corner stabilizers.  and finally I put a screw stabilizer under the frame on the opposite side of the bottle jack.  This provides 6 point stabilization, (Actually 7 counting the tongue jack) and TM does not move.

I have added the factory lift kit & so I cut a 1x4 piece of treated lumber into 4 inch lengths to use under the corner stabilizers & 6 inch lengths to use under the center jacks.  

BTW, the manual I received with the TM outlines this procedure (minus the 6th jack), using a scissors jack on the low side.  I had no problem with the hydraulic bottle jack.

Dan