View Single Post
Old 07-06-2022, 04:41 PM   #39
Deb Mac
Site Sponsor

The Oatey is just what you said… an air admittance valve. But it is a one way valve - a spring loaded flap valve of sorts. Air comes in when dumping but the flap keeps air from coming out when nothing is happening. They are in a lot of bigger rv’s under the kitchen sink to help them drain since they are far from the main grey tank vent (frequently).
I could just use a bigger vent pipe out the side of the trailer, but I was hoping to minimize drilling holes in the side of the trailer. I was curious whether dudeabides found that the 3/4” vent pipe was sufficient diameter to allow a good rush of air to follow the dumping process? Too small and it would slow down the speed of flow from the tank. I think generally a 2” vent is the minimum you find, but I’m not sure. Happy to go with 3/4” angled vent if he found it worked out well.
Edit… I suppose it would actually work fine since it’s such a short length of pipe. Less than a foot- probably wouldn’t restrict air flow much. If I could find a 1” vent that would be even better!
Edit: Found the same vent in 1 1/2"... for $80! Not sure if I want to go that high. But at least I know it's there if I want to use it.