View Single Post
Old 04-25-2011, 08:54 PM   #20
OffToDaRaces

Default Trailmanor quality control

Hello everyone. I have been reading about quality issues with the TM units, new and old. I recently purchased a 2008 2720 that I am initially pleased with. I am not an engineer, but I have had some training in construction of various vehicles, ie semi's, semi trailers, cargo trailers etc.

After getting my TM home, I have spent the last few days going over it with a fine tooth comb. Although the engineering theories seem sound, the actual construction could be better. I have replaced many l inferior screws, staples and double stick tape. I actually think that if TM had used a better quality fasteners during assembly, it may have added $5-10 per unit, and possibly 5 pounds per Trailer. It appears that the new attitude in business is planned obsolesence. I guess that I may be a bit anal, but I like to know what I am dealing with.

I was abit suprised when I removed a couple panels and trim in the rear shell, while installing rear vision camera. I would have thought that electrical connections would be made with something better than "crimp connectors" from Wall Mart. I lieu of replacing all of those connectors now, I have decided that if I have any electrical problems inthe future, the first place to look will be the connectors.

Other minor things that I found and fixed are things like; the heavy weatherstrip that runs the length of the shells is poorly secured at the end of the slide. I fixed those by cleaning the tabs at the end of the slides, using velcro and a self taping screw thru a small flat washer. Now when slid, the weather barrier does slide smoothly and is not as prone to damage to itself or the surrounding materials. I also repaired or replaced almost all of Velcro that is used to hold the whole thing together.

I have also ordered, from TM, the LED tail lights. I believe that better lighting on the rear of any trailer, reduces the chances of rear end collisions. The new lights are supposed to be direct replacements for the older model lights, although a bit larger and a separate tag light must aslo be used.

If anyone is interested, will continue to post whatever fixes and replacements that I perform on my TM. It actually has been fun going thru the trailer and trying different things. Many of my ideas have come from this forum. Keep it up. Thanks