View Single Post
Old 04-10-2023, 08:07 AM   #15
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

A toothbrush would be good for attacking the visible corrosion on the black plastic surface of the plug. But that is not your real goal - that white junk isn't hurting anything, and removing it won't fix the problem. Your goal is to remove the corrosion that is down inside the plug, between the metal blades. I'm not sure how you would get a toothbrush down into there.

I continue to think that the best approach is a two-step process. First, shoot some solvent down between the blades to loosen the white junk inside, and dissolve some of it. Let it sit for 2 or 3 minutes, then push "something" down between the blades to scrub them. The "something" should be stiff enough to push in, a bit absorbent so it can carry the solvent down between the blades, but not strongly abrasive like sandpaper or a metal file. I have always cut a strip of light cardboard (not corrugated box stuff), maybe 1/4" wide by 1-1/2 inch long, sprayed it with the solvent, pushed it down in, and worked it in and out to scrub the metal surfaces a bit. Quick and easy.

Where to get the cardboard? Think of the box that Ritz crackers or Cheerios come in. Solvent? Contact cleaner from a hardware store.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Contact cleaner.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	21812  
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote