View Single Post
Old 02-27-2010, 04:49 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Wow, that was an old old thread. Congrats to MtnGuy just for being able to find it!

The thermostat that was pictured in that thread hasn't been used in TMs for several years. It was perfectly good - TM just began using another. I recognize the new one by the fact that it has rounder edges on the cover. However, if you pop the cover off the new one, you will find the same circular cycle-adjust mechanism inside that is pictured in the old thread.

I haven't been able to understand the lure of a digital thermostat (other than programmability, which can be useful). It senses air temp in the same place in the TM, using effectively the same type of sensor, and responds just as fast (or slow) as a mechanical unit. Why is it better? Dunno. When the air conditioner in my house died a couple years ago, the new air conditioner came with a sexy digital thermostat, to control both heating and cooling. If it works any different than the old round Honeywell, I haven't been able to detect it. Of course a digital thermostat for the TM does require a battery which, if it dies, will leave you with no heat.

Just my thoughts.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote