View Single Post
Old 01-25-2008, 08:25 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Joel -

I don't think anybody knows exactly what this statement means. We had a long discussion about it a couple years ago, with lots of ideas but no conclusions. I've even talked to the TM factory to get their take on it, and they are mystified. Part of the problem comes from the fact that, if you rummage around the Goodyear site some more, you will find that same statement somewhere else, with slightly different wording. As I recall, the different wording suggests that if you nudge up the tire inflation to get more speed rating, the load-carrying capacity is actually reduced. The statement is not quantified, so I don't know what to do with it.

As far as the wheel is concerned, I recall that when I switched to 15-inch wheels/tires, all the info was stamped inside the body of the wheel - in other words, you can't read it unless you take the tire off. But that is apparently not universal practice. As it happens, I have a spare TM wheel with no tire on it (the one I have been tryng to give away on the Parts and Accessories forum). This is an original 14-inch factory wheel. The stamping here is on the outside back surface, and it says "DOT T14X6.0 10 04 MAX 1870 LBS JCA KOREA". No reference to pressure, unless wmtire can make something out the JCA code.

Sorry not to be more help.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote