View Single Post
Old 03-19-2006, 10:42 AM   #10
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Default Frank; An additional thought.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
Frank -

The articles linked by Denny_A referred to damage caused by a heavy deadweight load placed near the rear of the Toyota's bed. This is just what the uncompensated tongue weight of a non-WDH would do.

Bill
....about WDH and dead weight.

If the trailer tongue weight were , say 510 lbs and 2/3 of the dead weight were transferred to the Tacoma front axle plus the trailer axle, the actual hitch load would be .333 x 510 lbs = 170 lbs. Seems doable.

However, most WDH hitches weigh from 50 to 100 lbs. Mine weighed 75 lbs. So if my hitch were used, with the above example, the down force on the hitch would be 255 lbs. I think most pay liitle attention to the WDH hitch deadweight - mostly because it's not an issue with suitable tow vehicles. In the Tacoma case one may not be advised to pass the additional weight off as inconsequential!

OTOH, the your vehicle would be loaded only for towing. Examples of frame bending must( ) involve vehicles which carry such deadweight loads 100% of the time. Chances are you would never have a problem.

Denny_A