View Single Post
Old 04-12-2019, 07:22 AM   #7
FlyboyTR

We are officially TM owners. While this unit has a lot more wear and tear than i was expecting, I don't think I will have too many problems rehabbing it.

So far most of the problems appear to be repairs/fixes by someone that should not be allowed to operate high tech equipment like screwdrivers, pliers and the ever-confusing adjustable wrench.

When set up the swing up aluminum bars that pin each side of the shell (keeps it stable and prevents it from closing...yes I have got to learn what all these things are called) are not level. It appears the shells are hanging low at the front and rear. From a visual standpoint each end appears to droop downward. There are no shell bumpers on the frame (where the bottom of the shell meets the main camper frame). The door doesn't fit well and this is probably directly related to the shell height adjustment. The fender well liner has gaps and tears (nothing difficult here). Brakes are useless and the left hub is running a bit warm. The bearing dust covers look like they were beat to an oblong shape with a sledge hammer and the rubber end plug has been replaced with black electrical tape (Although...I did pull it over 500 miles yesterday and kept checking the warm hub about every 50 miles...so the nut tension probably just needs to be backed off...but I will be inspecting bearings and races). Sigh...

So first things first is to sort out the shell adjustment. Torsion adjustment appears to be close and doesn't require great force for opening or closing...so I am thinking this is just a height adjustment issue.

The frame pad issue is a simple/easy fix. I have some marine wet exhaust hose that should work well...but will look at other options in the shop.

Replace the non-existent weatherstripping around the door.

OH...I forget that the bag seals have some pretty worn areas where the material has worn through. I may just try to find a pliable sealant to cover those areas and worry with this down the road. I have removed the scotch tape that had been applied...LOL

OK...guidance, help, suggestions, prayers, adult beverage....all will be appreciated. Thanks!
FlyboyTR is offline   Reply With Quote