View Single Post
Old 05-15-2012, 02:31 PM   #8
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Adventure View Post
There are no mechanical issues in towing out of level except for the rear bumper dragging if the tongue is too high and bottoming out on the tongue when the hitch is set too low. Of course, it's always important to get the WDH settings right, too.
It seems to me that a difference between the trailer being slightly low or slightly high from level while towing is that air flow may be different. This may cause a modest change in fuel consumption.

It is also my undocumented opinion (aka gossip) that a trailer riding low in the front is slightly more stable than a trailer that is riding slightly high.

For a few inches of difference, I doubt that it matters.

I have scraped the front battery tray twice. I have scraped the rear hitch receiver more times than I want to think about. The battery tray scrapes were measurable in inches. The rear hitch receiver scrapes were measurable in feet. In my situation, towing a bit low has a advantage. This part does not matter for most TM owners, because most TM owners probably do not go where I go. If you don''t have 4WD and a high clearance vehicle, then you definitely won't go where I go.