View Single Post
Old 03-05-2012, 07:26 PM   #7
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
Cells e22-e24 refer to "unhitched" weight of the truck axles and trailer axle.
I have never measured the "unhitched" weight of the trailer axle, but do have the numbers for the unhitched truck axles. What I think you mean is the trailer axle weight when the WDH spring bars are slacked. So that is what I entered...
The weight of the trailer axle is the same whether unhitched or hitched without a WDH (the number gets automatically copied to the other column).

Quote:
Your predicted non-WDH weight distribution is pretty close, within a few tens of #s.
Thanks!

Quote:
However the predicted WDH weight distribution is off by several hundred #s on the TV's drive and steer axles. Assuming I've got everything put in correctly.
Uh, yeah it would be great to be able to blame you, but there's apparently an error in cell H22, where we'd like to be seeing 3280 for you instead of 3680, and in cell H23 we'd like to see 3960 instead of 3540. Guessing from the tongue weight distributions that are coming up, it looks like I've got some calcs for the rear axle in the front axle box. We'll try this again after I've fixed it. I appreciate having your numbers to validate the spreadsheet, if nothing else!

Quote:
To be honest, I'm not sure how useful these calculations are. If a person already knows the tongue weight of their trailer and the additional weight on the trailer axle caused by the WDH, then they should also already know how the WDH is shifting weight between the drive and steer axles.
True. But the point of the WDH calculator spreadsheet is to allow people to estimate the effects of a WDH with different settings, different tow vehicles, shorter/longer wheelbases, hitch extensions, different trailers, different WDH bar capacities, etc.

Note: updated and corrected spreadsheets have been posted on the original posts on this thread on 3-9-12.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote