View Single Post
Old 03-28-2010, 11:45 AM   #25
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Talking exactly! Thanks, Brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
Think I've got the same engine/tranny as Rickst29. It's a new vehicle to me....It wasn't until about halfway back that I realized that the downshift on slight grades was not to 4th but really the torque converter unlocking. So up to then we spent a lot time with an unlocked torque converter.
I'll use the word "clutch" instead of the words "torque converter" in this post. I forgot to say that the cause for bad gas mileage (and the excessive wear-and-tear on the tranny clutch and fluid too) is running "unlocked" for extended periods.

You should downshift to a gear where you can raise your foot up, just a bit, to see the 100-150 RPM dropoff which occurs when the clutch locks up -- and also maintains that locked state as you push your gas back in, slowly, to accelerate back to the speed you want to go.
- - - - - -

Here's my original, and better written, instructions: Driving Toyota/Lexus SUV Automatic Transmissions

I've owned both the V8 and V6 models of "Gen4" 4Runners. The V6 was bought with insurance money as a slightly-downgraded replacement for the V8. (RIP. Here's the sad story: Totaled from behind by a driver who died at the wheel and slumped forward - onto the gas pedal. 9000 lb van conversion smashed into us from the rear, while we waiting at a light, at nearly 60 MPH. Two vehicles in front of us were also totaled within the resulting "accordion". Wife said, "You buy another one just like it!!", but the only "Sport" model in stock was a V6.)

The V6 is much more noisy than the V8 was, but we find it capable of handling grades up to 20% easily... and our 2619 is loaded heavy for travel, at least 200 lbs past the official GWV rating. (That's why we got it with the 3124's axle and tires.) Having years of experience with both, I strongly recommend the V6 model-- better mileage, no significant loss of capability if you drive it with high RPMs when necessary. Shift it like a manual, and the only difference is more noise. You put the right one in your Taco.