View Single Post
Old 06-07-2023, 04:09 PM   #8
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Mac View Post
Thanks - I have that. But these are far from hairline... they are deep and wide. Heat!! New brake assemblies are coming. I'm not going to mess around with swapping out shoes, and magnets.

New drum/hub assemblies coming too. If the shoes overheated that badly, then the drums likely did as well, so starting from scratch.
It looks to me like the previous owner either left the emergency brake plug out and drove the vehicle until it stopped resisting (because the got too hot) or he kept using the maximum lever on his brake controller while the brakes weren't broken in (which is more likely the case).

The reason that I bring this up is to let you know that brake shoes have a brake-in period and if the owner abuses that, the brake shoe lining will become very hard and crack (just like in your picture). It's sorta like putting bread in the oven at a high temperature. It becomes brittle, shrinks and cracks apart.

I seriously doubt if your brakes drums are bad. If they were over-heated, they would have blue spots on them. If you take them to an automotive machine shop, they will turn the drums (usually about $10 each) and he will tell you immediately if they are bad and probably won't charge you.