View Single Post
Old 06-05-2023, 05:44 PM   #3
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Mac View Post
I opted not to futz around and have ordered new hubs as well. If I was going to use the existing back-plate and just change out the shoes (longitudinal crack on the curb side shoes), I might have left them. But since I'm changing out the whole back-plate assembly, the new magnets wouldn't meet up properly with the surface. Checked and looks like it would be hard to find someone in my neck of the woods who would/could machine those surfaces, so... what's another $250 at this point
Your brakes look hardly worn at all. The magnet wear sensor show little to no wear. I've never seen electric trailer brakes in that good condition. Usually, when I check the brakes on a trailer, that I just bought, they are in such bad shape, that I just replace the brake assembles and clean the magnet surface on the drums.

As far as the armature surface on the drums, just hit it with a wire brush on a drill motor to knock off rust & dirt. That surface is merely a metal surface to draw the magnets too. You don't have to get real picky unless the surface is really torn up. Like if a brake spring comes off and get between the surfaces and grinds down the springs. Those are pretty strong magnets and when current is supplied, the magnets get pulled out to that surface an that is what the the brake shoes out.