View Single Post
Old 03-23-2011, 09:48 AM   #1
pauloh

Default Final decision on 1 of 2 Reese WDHs

I have read most if not all of many threads, discussions, wars, etc. over weight-distributing hitches, and sincerely thank those of you who have contributed from your varied experiences. I am 50 miles from the nearest dealer, and their prices are $100+ higher, so I'm going to order a WDH online and install it myself (with a buddy's help). Gotta pick a brand so I'm looking at Reese as a good one (apparently Reese may be a little lighter than other brands, seems confirmed by stated shipping weights, that was one factor).

Both of these Reese WDH are rated for 800 lbs. tongue weight (after reading here and some consideration of my TV/TM I'm OK with trying that capacity). One is round bar (#67509, at $415.) and one is trunnion style bar (#49586 at $299.) These product pages at etrailer.com (and anywhere else I could find the product descriptions) are just vague enough that trying to compare the features, I'm not sure which one to go with. For example, which is easier/better:

67509: "Adjustable spring-bar tension - just switch links in lift chains to fine-tune" "Bars flex appropriately over uneven terrain for a controlled, even ride"
49586: "Hex washers with serrations allows for quick spring bar tension adjustment" "Tapered spring bars promote better flexing for a smoother ride"

I'd pay a little more for ease of adjustment, and I know I won't need the optional sway-control for either one. The #67509 is sold by a few more retailers (google shopping search), maybe that's a good reason to go with it even at higher cost. I see it weighs about 18 lbs. less too (shipping weight). Can't really see why from the photos though.

Reese 67509: http://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distr...e/RP67509.html
Reese 49586: http://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distr...ies/49586.html

BTW, I may actually order from autopartsdealer.com, they have good ratings and better prices, but the Reese WDH descriptions were more complete at the links above. Thank you for any comments.
TV: 2007 Toyota 4Runner, V8, 4x4
Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller
Reese 49586-020 Trunnion WDH
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
pauloh is offline   Reply With Quote